25 days of Christmas, 41 Days of Celebration, chocolate chips, Christmas, Christmas Cooking, cooking, Cooking and a Classic, cup mint, dessert, drop dough, food, Grinch Cookies, Mint Kisses, pinterest, Pretzel Hugs, recipes
- Hershey’s Hugs
- Pretzels Snaps
- Preheat oven to 300
- line baking sheet with wax paper
- place pretzels on paper
- unwrap hugs, enough for each pretzel (I made 63 – one baking sheet worth)
- once oven is preheated pop in oven for about 2 minutes
- remove from oven and let sit for 1 minute
- top hugs with pretzels and press down, making sandwiches
- pop in fridge for 20-30 minutes to cool.
I had fun making these, despite hulking a few of the sandwiches. Easy enough that if I ever needed something for little kids to do, this could be totally up their alley. (For example we had a 5 year old at Thanksgiving who really wanted to help with the cooking. I think she would have loved this project, instead she helped put potatoes in a pot after we cut them. She really liked that too though, so whatever floats her boat I suppose.) Original directions found at cookies & cups blog, although I’m sure I could have figured it out. I so often forget these treats so credit given where it’s due…to pinterest.
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 8 drops green food color
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mint baking chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract, food color and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in both mint and chocolate chips.
- Using small spoons (teaspoons, drop dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and cool.
Original recipe found via pinterest which lead back to here. I made these before the mint-kisses and I like the coloring of the later better. Perhaps because it’s more natural? As far as not adding food coloring personally, but I do like the coloring of theses as well. Not like the mint kisses are naturally green, but I digress.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint baking chips
- granulated sugar
- candy cane kisses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and clear room in freezer or fridge for cookie sheet
- in large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, butter, extracts and egg. Mix until creamy.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to wet mixture and combine thoroughly. Stir in chopped up baking chips.
- Shape dough into small bolls, roll in granulated sugar and place 1-in apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set
- When cookies come out of oven immediately press kiss into center of each cookie and set tray in fridge/freezer.
I made a dozen cookies, then I decided to make the rest using mini-cupcake tins (which I got since baking the poppers). They made much cuter little cookies. I think I made them a bit ‘wrong’ since they didn’t turn out like the original blog entry. Granted I made a few adjustments, but even before the mint-chip substitution my mixture was smooth, not crumbly. That may have made them spread out more than they would usually. Which is why, of course, I used the mini-muffin tins.
If you try any of these, let me know how it works out for you! Until next time ~ Q