It may be weird to have a hummus wrap without the hummus but the hummus I purchased was distasteful so I pitched it. I need to remember which brand I enjoy so I can try these suckers again ‘properly’ but the rest of the ingredients blended well to create an enticing low-cal meal.
Not being one to normally eat tomatoes I thought I was going to have to shut my eyes and gobble down these little wraps, however I gobbled them down for other reasons. Why don’t I like tomatoes? When I was a kid we had tomato vines. Every summer we would produce a lot of tomatoes. Many meals comprised of corn on the cob (hello, I’m an Iowan), some kind of meat and then sliced tomatoes. I did my best not to take a slice but pops, insisting I try new things, would be sure I have at least one slice at each meal. I would like to say I took my ‘punishment’ gracefully but sadly, that was not the case. That is how I developed the eye shut eating technique though. Because, obviously, if you can’t see it happening, then it isn’t. Right?
Twenty years later I’m at the grocery store looking at my list and see that tomatoes are on it. Leery does not begin to cover what I felt. I somewhat shut my eyes, grabbed the cherry tomatoes, placed them in the cart and vacated the produce section before I could second guess myself. Dad, you were right, tomatoes are good. I’m putting it in writing so you can always prove I said it.
Hummus, Spinach and Tomato Wraps (serves 4)
Ingredients (for original recipe)
- 4-12 inch tortillas
- 8 tbs hummus
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, finely chopped (about 12-14)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Heat tortillas (I did it in the microwave for about 20 seconds)
- Turn on broiler (optional – it’s just what I did)
- Spread 2 tbs hummus on each tortilla
- Mix together tomatoes, pepper and spinach (I had this several days running so the tomato juices were able to ‘marinate’ the other veggies)
- Divide vegetables equally onto each tortilla
- Wrap up and if you want to broil them to toast & heat everything up I strongly suggest it. I put them on the bottom shelf and cooked for about 5 minutes. (I burnt mine if I did it on the top shelf for 5 minutes)
- Not into hummus? Try substituting 1/4 cup of cheese instead. That’s how I rolled since the hummus was gross.