Although you can find this project most anywhere these days I followed the particulars (almost) from the Thirty Handmade Days blog for creating a fancy mason jar. (Also called redneck wine glasses and many other things.) While I was shopping about for the materials I decided I didn’t want to do a mason jar, mainly because 1: I didn’t have a particular need for an elevated mason jar and 2: the glass tones of the mason jars and candlesticks didn’t match. The clashing really urked me so I decided to use a simple clear jar instead. I found a super cute and simple one at Hobby Lobby and set to work.
I very carefully spread the glue onto the edge of the candlestick and let it set for a moment. (I had actually read the glue instructions, perhaps a first for me.) Then I centered the stick on the glass as best I could and let it set. After a couple hours I decided I was going to hit the sack. The glue had said to let the glue to dry for twenty-four hours, for some reason after two I figured it would be a good idea to add weight to the glass. Just to make sure that there was pressure on it. I grabbed my two biggest books (Art & Architecture book on Rome and my Visual History of Graphic Design). I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and heard a crash. I returned to the living room to find the books on the floor and this on the table.
Yep, I did not take into account that these things were still GLASS and therefore highly breakable. We didn’t really have glass around growing up knowing we wouldn’t have any glasses left. Perhaps that makes me forget that it isn’t an indestructible material. As you can see I forced this project to fail. It probably would have been just fine if I had left it, but no. I had to go and put those heavy books on them. Oh well, in hind sight I didn’t really need an elevated jar anyway. However of the two pieces I wish the candlestick would have broken, it was a super cute jar. I may need to replace it…and get a second candlestick because having just one seems weird.