It has been a LONG time since I’ve drawn, and even then I didn’t really do trees. Trees are tricky, so of course last night I decided it’d be fun to sketch out a picture I took of the town’s swinging bridge. If I were my drawing professor I’d point out I have the atmospheric drawing off (the item farthest away – the bridge- should be lighter than the objects in the foreground – the rocks). I just enjoy drawing architecture/geometric shapes more. Something to keep in mind the next time the fancy strikes me. Perhaps I’ll undertake sketching the Colosseum instead. Arches are easier to predict the definite shape of over leaves that are far, far away. Trees aside though, I was impressed my sighting wasn’t too far off when I overlaid the drawing and the picture. Apparently I can still site some lines, good to know. Perhaps I’ll start smaller with a still-life, college style, where we would set everyday objects (scissors, vases, sunglasses, etc) up and draw them. That might be a more manageable way to ease into drawing again.
Until next time
I’ve been scanning through some of my old…what to call them…projects I suppose. Except these were things I did on my own time and done relatively quickly (in that I didn’t spend days perfecting the details.
Here is one such project. In school we did an official project where we had to create an ampersand using two different fonts that looked like it could belong in either font. (As well as making a type specimen poster and other items.) I really enjoyed the project because you had to find away to work within the rules of the font all the while breaking them to create something new.
In that same vein every now and then I experiment with that type of project. Here is a result of one day’s exploration. A ligature for when a k and a n are right by each other. I really wanted it to be exclusive to when the k is silent, so i guess that would make it more of it’s own letter. Like the che (ch) in Spanish, which i believe has been made obsolete and taken out of the alphabet, choosing instead to just us a c and an h. Anyway, this one only uses one font family, instead combining the rules of a k and n.
Until next time~Q
I don’t know what the correct term for this DIY home decor but today I made one. Done in a monochromatic scheme it is only gray scale. Odd choice, somewhat, since my apartment is more tans and warm colors. However if you look at my clothes it’s more gray scale and now this is getting boring. Any who I started with making a marbled (if that is the right concept) background…grungy might be a better adjective. Then I printed out the shape and shallowly nailed the nails, more to mark the shape. I had to do it this way because I then had to remove the nails so I could take the paper out and flip it upside down to get the mirror image on the other half so they would be symmetrical…in shape anyway even if not in any thing else. Then I actually had to nail them in for keeps. I was using a teeny tiny hammer that may not be the most efficient for nailing into oak but I have yet to retrieve my real hammer from my parent’s place from doing some residing over father’s day so I made do. My apologies to the people in my building who had to listen to my intermittent tinkling throughout the day, I won’t be overly surprised if I hear from the land lord people next week. Now to decide where to hang it, I may have to wait, I don’t have the heart to hammer any more today and I’d need to put a couple nails in the wall to get it placed where I want. So for now here is a picture of the finished product. Until next time~Q